Driver IC Distributor in China
- Provides integrated current limiting and flexible current regulation modes.
- Safe to use along with the fault diagnostic ensure robust performance.
- Enable cooler running temperature for long lived operation.
- Intended to control and drive both winding of the bipolar stepper motor.
Any Types of Driver IC and Other IC ChipsJust Send us Your Part Number,We'll Quote You Within 8 Hours
Professional Driver IC Supplier - Rantle East Electronic
RANTLE Driver IC provides the simplest and most flexible IC solution available for driving brush DC motors. It provides integrated current limiting and flexible current regulation modes. Now, driver IC have overvoltage, short circuit, and over temperature protection. Therefore, RANTLE driver IC is safe to use along with the fault diagnostic ensure robust performance.
RANTLE is introducing a Driver IC with a flexible supply voltage which enable cooler running temperature for long lived operation.
Nowadays, most of the microprocessor operate at low voltages and require a small amount of current to operate. However, RANTLE Driver IC requires relatively higher voltages and current that is why we need to use these motor Driver IC.
RANTLE Driver IC is intended to control and drive both winding of the bipolar stepper motor or by directionally control to TOW DC motor. The power stage is a dual full bridge capable of sustaining 46V and including 4 diodes for current recirculation.
RANTLE Driver IC used transistor, L2930/L298, and relays to avoid damage of the motor. If you want to rotate your motor in one direction then this is the easiest way to do so.
Power transistor is used as a switch to turn a motor on or off depending upon the applied voltage at base.
Furthermore, RANTLE Driver IC is safe to use because it has an electromechanical switch. They have a very high current rating in both AC and DC motors and can be controlled through them because motor will be completely isolated from the remaining circuit.
RANTLE is an independent Driver IC distributor for our leading manufacturers. We can assure you good quality Driver IC products. With the accurate quotation, excellent credit, reasonable price, reliable quality, fast delivery, authentic service, we have won the praise of majority of customers. So, what are you waiting for? Be one of our costumers who experienced the high quality performance of our product.
Electronic Components IC Chips Related Components: Logic IC , Interface IC , Equalizer IC , Digital Potentiometer IC , Counter IC , Network IC , Timer IC , Active Filter IC , Multimedia IC , Optocoupler IC , Power Management IC , Security IC , Switch IC , RF Integrated Circuit , IC Batteries
Related Electronic Components: LM1117IMPX-ADJ , OZ9950GN , TPS2054BDR , MP3423GG-Z
Driver IC – The Ultimate FAQ Guide
This guide covers every detail about motor driver IC – from the basic definition, components, working principle to functions.
So, if you want to be an expert or import driver IC, then this is a must-read FAQ guide.
Let’s explore these IC chips:
- What is a Motor Drive IC?
- What is the Function of Motor Drive IC?
- What are the Advantages of Driver ICs?
- Are there Disadvantages of Driver ICs?
- How do you Choose Suitable Motor Driver IC?
- What is a Motor Drive?
- How do you Specify IC Motor Driver?
- What are the Components of Driver ICs?
- How much does the Motor Drive IC cost?
- What are the common problems with Motor Control Units?
- How many Types of Motor Drives are there?
- What is a Brushed DC Motor Driver IC?
- What is L293D?
- What is the Function of IC L293D?
- What are the functions of the 16 Pins in Driver ICs?
- Why do you need a Motor Drive IC?
- How does Drive IC Operate?
- What is the importance of 4 Grounds in Driver IC?
- What are the Types of Driver ICS?
- What is the Role of a Capacitor in Motor Driver ICs?
- How do you Test Motor Driver IC?
- What is Gate Driver IC?
- Are there Special Function Motor Driver ICs?
- What are H-bridge Driver ICs?
- How does a Stepper Motor Driver IC Work?
- What makes Haptic Feedback Driver ICs Unique?
- How many types of Electric Motors are there?
- How does MOSFET Gate Driver Work?
- How does High Side Switching compare to Low Side Switching?
- How do you Control Motor with a Relay?
- How does Driver Circuit Work for an IGBT?
- What is a Motor Driver Shield?
- What is the Function of Buffer in Motor ICs?
What is a Motor Drive IC?
Motor drive IC
This is an integrated circuit chip that controls motors in autonomous robots. It is an interface that works between the microprocessor in robots and the motor in robots.
Of course, you can also use it to control motors in industrial setups.
L293D series and L293NE are the most commonly used ones.
They are made in such a way that they control 2 DC motors at the same time.
L293D series is composed of two H-bridge, which is a simple circuit used for controlling the low current rated motor.
It has sixteen pins which include:
- Ground pins which are four
- Four Input pins
- Four output pins
- Two enabling pins
- Two voltage pins
What is the Function of Motor Drive IC?
For a controller to operate, it needs both low current and voltage.
However, for an electric motor to operate it will need both high current and voltage.
This basically implies that the output of a controller does not produce sufficient current and voltage to operate the motor.
To solve this problem, one of the functions of a motor comes in, and this is to use a motor driver IC.
The other function of a motor drive IC is to provide a large current which is needed by the motor.
It helps to protect the motor. This is because the direct connection between the controller and the motor leads to motor damage.
What are the Advantages of Driver ICs?
Motor drive IC
- Many benefits drive IC’s offer. These include the following:
- The devices can function very well and efficiently
- It is easy to operate the circuit, and therefore the robot can be controlled using inputs.
- Both autonomous and commercial robots can use it.
- It can deal with heavy currents that end up heating the ICs. Therefore, heat sinks are recommended for reducing heating.
- Four capacitors are used to reduce the fluctuation of voltage.
- These take place while the motor is being used in one direction and can suddenly take the opposite direction. Therefore, it shifts the direction without having to lose anything.
Are there Disadvantages of Driver ICs?
Yes, there is a disadvantage. It may need many complicated wiring, even for small applications.
How do you Choose Suitable Motor Driver IC?
There are many factors to consider when you want to choose a good motor drive.
· Motor you Intend to use
For example, Brushed DC motor can use either low or medium voltage systems. The implementation of rotational motion will be successful with this kind of motor.
When motor drive, which is driven by a full bridge, is used, it allows low voltage to control signals. This enables the motor to operate in either clockwise or anticlockwise direction.
· Voltage and Current
The second factor to consider in choosing a motor driver IC is voltage and current.
The voltage and current rating for a motor drive are compatible with that of your motor and its intended application.
To get a suitable voltage spec is very easy. This is because many devices have a large supply voltage range, like 4.5v to 36v.
It is also important to choose a motor drive IC that has many current drive capabilities.
In addition to these, ensure its thermal design can generously transfer heat.
Use a device with an exposed thermal pad if you anticipate your motor drive IC may develop stressful temperature internally.
Alternatively, you can use a copper pour that has many vias.
What is a Motor Drive?
Motor drives are circuits that are used in running motors. They can be useful in making motor interfacing.
Their selection is influenced by the type of motor you choose to use together with their rating.
Sample motor drive circuit – Photo courtesy: Electronics Hub
How do you Specify IC Motor Driver?
The specifications include:
- Logic supply voltage of 4.5v to 36v
- Supply voltage of 36v
- Enable voltage of 2.3 to 7v
- 600 output current capability per channel
- The junction temperature of -40 to 150 degrees.
What are the Components of Driver ICs?
There are two main categories of Drive ICs components. These are Components for DC motor and those for servo motor.
The components for drive ICs motors are:
- A motor control can be microcontroller or microprocessor.
- There is a motor drive circuit, which is the current amplifier. They receive low current signals from the controller and convert it into a high current signal. This conversion helps in driving the motor.
- The other one is the motor. This is both electric and mechanical equipment that creates motion.
- The unit that supplies power to the motor drive known as the power supply unit.This has a motor and a sensor that controls the velocity and acceleration. Its main components include:
- The second category of drive ICs components is a servo motor.
- Power supply unit
- Servo motor
- Important connections with the motor.
How much does the Motor Drive IC cost?
The prices vary.
For example, some are very cost-effective, while others are relatively costly. The minimum could cost as low as 3 US dollars.
What are the common problems with Motor Control Units?
This unit has some shortcomings that are frequently experienced by application engineers. The problems include the following:
Motor control unit
1) Driver can Fail to run the Motor
If this is the case, look into it through these means:
- Ensure the driver is getting enough power by measuring the supply voltage as close as possible to the drive. This should be done at the power input terminals.
- Make sure there is proper motor connection. This is done by measuring the motor resistance right at the drive. Open high ohm value indicates a problem is not in the drive and, therefore, check motor relays, plugs, and connectors.
2) Motor is not Receiving Signals
This is checked by measuring the voltage at the drive’s output terminals.
The presence of voltage will trigger the rotation of the motor.
But if the motor is moving, then it’s either wiring of the motor may be the problem. To remedy this, make sure the motor is:
- Receiving signals for a command that enables the motor to run.
- You can also enable or exhibit commands. Ensure the drive is not being commanded to put out motor voltage.
- The pot adjustments should be trimmed. Motor voltage can be lacking due to some adjustments on the drive. For example, a current limit pot set too far results to install of motor immediately the current is demanded.
- You should have an input voltage selector switch. Therefore, set up the drive to accept 115VAC or 230VAC.
3) When there is Tripping of Breaks or the Driver keeps Blowing Fuses
The dive is one of the most stressed components because it conducts the same amount of current as of the motor. To help in situations like this, the following has to be done:
- See if the motor has not been grounded by checking each terminal of the motor to the earth’s ground.
- Ensure the line power is clean because some drivers may develop problems when they are dirty.
- Make sure the drive has input isolation when you are using an external command signal to control the motor.
When the drive current rating is high, it gets stressed.
The motor current should be monitored so that we get the expected level, which does to exceed the drive rating.
5) Producing Noise
This can be prevented using shielded wires. Also, ensure you keep logic level wires separate from power and motor to reduce noise.
How many Types of Motor Drives are there?
There are 12 types of motor drive. They include:
- Cumulative compound motor
- DC series motor
- Single-phase synchronous motor
- 3-phase synchronous motor
- DC shunt motor
- Slip ring induction motor
- Capacitor start and run motor
- Double squirrel cage motor
- Capacitor start induction run a motor
- Squirrel cage inductive motor
- Single-phase series motor
- Repulsion motor
What is a Brushed DC Motor Driver IC?
Brushed dc motor drive circuit – Photo courtesy: Electronics Hub
This is a motor drive that has a low output Ron, and it helps in reducing the consumption of power.
They have a wide range of supply voltage, current output, and channel count options.
It can integrate two current controls and a full-bridge power stage. These drives two brushed DC motors.
The brushed DC motor driver IC has a thermally enhanced package that is ready to use. It is also able to provide different voltage and current ratings.
What is L293D?
This is a motor driver that can drive a motor drive in two opposite directions.
It has 16 pins, which can at once control a set of two DC motors in any direction.
This can control two DC motor with one L293D IC.
L293D – Photo courtesy: Instructables
It drives both small and big motor drives ICs that can drive in either direction. This can be sourced from electronic shops at a relatively cheaper cost of approximately 1 USD.
It operates on the H-bridge concept, which allows the voltage to be flown in either direction.
This helps in automatically changing the voltage direction, and this makes it relevant for driving a DC motor.
In one L293D chip, IC that rotates two DC motors independently has two H-bridge circuit.
It has two enable pins, 1 and 9, which should be high. It’s ideal for robot applications that control the DC motor.
The L293D works through the input of four pins. Pin 2 and 7 on the left and pin 10 and 15 on the right-hand side.
What is the Function of IC L293D?
Its main function is to control the motor in autonomous robots. It also acts as an interface between Arduino and the motors.
What are the functions of the 16 Pins in Driver ICs?
The motor drive is an integrated circuit normally used in controlling autonomous robots. It is an IC with 16 pins, eight pins opposite each other on the two sides.
Each pin has its distinct function, and below is an illustration of these pins and their respective functions.
16 Pin motor drive IC – Photo courtesy: Electronics stack exchange
- Pin 1 is an enabler pin for input 1 and 2.
- Pin 2 is known as input 1. Normally, it controls pin 1 output signal. It’s also controlled by a digital circuit.
- Pin 3 is called output 1 and is connected to one side of the motor.
- Pin 4 is called the ground pin, and they are connected to the ground circuit (0V)
- Pin 5 is known as a ground pin. You should connect it to the circuit’s ground.
- Pin 6 is called output 2 and is connected to another end of motor 1.
- Pin 7 is called input pin 2, and it directly controls the output for pin 2 It is also digitally controlled.
- Pin 8 is named Vcc2. It’s connected to a voltage pin that helps in running the motor between 4.5V and 36V.
- Pin 9 is called enabler for both pin 3 and 4. It digitally controls the output of pin 3 directly.
- Pin 10 is called input 3, and its circuit also digitally controls the output in pin three.
- Pin 11 is alternatively known as output 3 and is attached to one end of the motor 2.
- Pin 12 is also called a ground pin. You should connect it to circuit ground connection.
- Pin 13 is also one of the ground pin. You should connect it to the circuit ground connection.
- Pin 14 is output 4, and it controls the output pin 4 directly. It connected the motor 2 at one end.
- Pin 15 is normally known as input 4, and it digitally controls the circuit to output pin 4.
- Pin 16 is Vcc, and it’s connected to +5V. It facilitates the function of the IC.
Why do you need a Motor Drive IC?
- It’s useful because it is one of the current technologies being used in the world today.
- It is being used to control autonomous robots.
- The use of a motor drive IC is important because it’s integrated between the motor and the controller. This enables the supply of high voltage to the motor.
- It can also enhance the provision of a large current which is required by the motor.
How does Drive IC Operate?
It operates using a voltage through the full bridge, which allows low voltage control to rotate a motor in either direction. It is built around one of the more full-bridge circuits.
First of all, to operate a drive IC, you must have voltage and current that is compatible with the motor and application.
What is the importance of 4 Grounds in Driver IC?
The ground is a point of the circuit. It has a voltage of 0V and usually represents the standard ground symbol. Below are the 4 grounds in the driver IC.
4 Grounds in motor drive IC – Photo courtesy: Electronics Hub
1) The Earth Ground
This is a ground that has been connected to the earth through conductive materials like copper, aluminum, or aluminum alloy.
It’s composed of conductive pipes which are driven into the earth to a depth of not less than 8 feet.
The earth enhances the electrical neutral body, thus making it immune to electric wavering.
The green wire from the earth is connected from the power cord to the device’s internal chassis.
2) Analog and Digital Grounds
When digital signals change state, digital circuits produce spikes of current.
On the other hand, analog circuits generate spikes when there is a change in load currents.
These grounds help in returning paths and creating voltage differences.
3) Common Ground Error
This poses some challenges to people who are not familiar with it. The power supply, which has positive, negative, and ground terminals, are connected incorrectly.
This wrong connection prevents the power from returning to the source because there is no current flow. It should, therefore, be done correctly.
4) Electrostatic Charges
This happens when the statically charged body has contact with the test machine.
The very sensitive test equipment is vulnerable to Electrostatic discharge. It is normally very sensitive to electrostatic discharge events.
This can be reduced by using grounded chairs and grounded mats, which offers protection for ICs by grounding you.
This helps in discharging any static we may be having in your body before touching any sensitive component.
What are the Types of Driver ICS?
There are 4 types of Driver ICs. They include:
- Display drivers and controllers
- LCD Drivers
- LED Display Drivers
- LED Lighting Drivers
What is the Role of a Capacitor in Motor Driver ICs?
This is used to supply the IC’s fast energy demand. The digital machine operates in a non-constant dissipation state because the current speed is high.
The capacitor is an energy reservoir for ICs. It should be placed as nearer as possible to the IC power supply pins.
This closeness of the IC to the capacitor facilitates the slow supply of energy when the current is high.
How do you Test Motor Driver IC?
Testing the motor drive, IC requires separation of the system into different components so that you can test them individually.
Doing a test is important because it helps to fix the problems.
Ensure you apply the required voltage directly to the two motors and see if they are running.
Instead of connecting the resistors to the motors, do so to the motor output of the motor driver. Then connect the voltmeter across the resisters and, thereafter, command the driver to rotate the motors at various speeds.
Check if the voltage across these resistors is following these commands correctly.
The next step is to check the signals from the Arduino to the motor. You will see which IN1 and IN2 signals control which transistors in H-bridge.
Two pins will feed power to the motor, and one must below and another high to ensure motor movement.
The enable pins must be high continuously, and the wiring from Arduino to the motor should be checked regularly.
Lastly, check the code if all the right signals are being sent to the output ports connected to the motor.
What is Gate Driver IC?
Gate driver IC circuit
It is a special power amplifier with the ability to handle low power input from controller IC.
For a gate system of high power transistors such as IGBT, it will produce an input of high current drive.
Depending on the configuration, it comes as a direct or on chip module. Besides, it may have an amplifier or level shifter.
A gate drive integrated circuit is suitable for pulse width modulation control system.
Where the control system may not produce an output current sufficient to drive gate capacitance of MOSFET.
Most of these driver integrated circuits come as dedicated ICs. They are transformers of discrete transistors.
Are there Special Function Motor Driver ICs?
Yes, there are special functions. These are converting the low current signal to high current signals.
What are H-bridge Driver ICs?
This is an electronic circuit that helps in switching the polarity of a voltage in a load application. H-bridge driver ICs are mostly used in robots and applications that allow DC motor to run clockwise and anticlockwise directions.
H bridge circuit – Photo courtesy: Learning bout electronics
How does a Stepper Motor Driver IC Work?
Stepper motor driver IC
This type of motor drive IC works in a very simple way. Square wave frequency varies between 7Hz and 340Hz.
Only four outputs are required. The fifth one is connected to the reset pin to enable the resetting of the counter to begin counting.
The counter IC CD4017 output is channeled to four different transistors connected to four coil terminals of the stepper motor.
The most common stepper motor wire is given to the 12v supply.
Upon application of the first signal to the DC4017, Q0 becomes high. This trigger the turning on of the corresponding transistor.
The results are common wire going through the first point to the ground. This provides some energy to the coil, thereby acting as an electromagnet.
The motor will then be attracted and begin to turn to that position.
In the second clock pulse, output Q1 becomes high, turning on the transistors associated. The current will now flow via the second point from common wire to GND.
This will also trigger the energizing of the coil and turning into an electromagnet, thereby facilitating the motor rotation.
This process continues, and the rotation speed of the stepper motor will vary depending on clock signal frequency.
What makes Haptic Feedback Driver ICs Unique?
This is because it’s as old as the human experience, and it is satisfactory since it shows that objects can respond to touch.
It has a piezo haptic solution that is uniquely positioned, and this gives the automotive manufacturers what they need.
It is also unique because it performs very well and is available in a small size. In addition to these, it has enduring reliability and unparalleled power efficiency.
How many types of Electric Motors are there?
There are two categories, the AC and DC. But their application and cost are independent of each other.
· AC Motors
These are motors that are free in terms of features like speed control. They also have a much larger installation base as compared to DC motors.
AC motors have the following advantages: They have synonymous motors that work with 3-phase supply and inductive motors.
· DC Motors
These were the first invented motors, which were relatively cheap in terms of cost when using low power units.
Its motor speed is controllable by varying supply voltage, which is available in many different voltages like 12 and 24V.
It has three main types of motors, which include: the DC Shunt motor, separation excited motor, DC series motor, PMDC motor, and compound motor.
Some of the electric motors in current applications are listed below:
- Ac brushless motor
- DC brushed motor
- DC Brushless motor
- Direct drive
- Linear motor
- Stepper motor
- Servo motor.
How does MOSFET Gate Driver Work?
MOSFET gate controls the flow of current between the drain and source.
Basically, this implies that MOSFET will work as switch.
Also, the working principle is dependent on MOS capacitors. Remember, this is the main component of metal oxide semi-conductor field effect transistor.
By introducing a voltage at the gate which is positive, holes in the oxide layer will push the substrate downwards. Remember, these holes are repulsive.
Here, you will have a depletion region, which will have many bond negative charges. These bond negative charges are associated with acceptor atoms.
It is a phenomenon causes electrons to form once they reach the channel.
Of course, it is the positive voltage that attracts these electrons. Again, this occurs in the drain area of this channel and n+ source.
When you apply voltage between the drain and source, you will experience current flowing. At this juncture, the gate voltage will be controlling electrons in the channel.
Also, when you apply negative voltage, there will be a hole in the channel of this oxide.
MOSFET Gate Driver
How does High Side Switching compare to Low Side Switching?
When a switching element has non-zero or small voltage drop, you refer to it as low side switching.
Moreover, it also has 2 sub circuits that have different ground levels.
While high side switching is characterized with slightly lower maximum current limit.
It is attributed to high resistance than n-type and this is basically a low switching element.
How do you Control Motor with a Relay?
There are several steps used in controlling the motor with a relay.
The first step is to have precise control for H-bridge.
If you open a switch, delay a little bit before closing the previous one; otherwise, there will be an issue.
Use the correct wiring scheme to be able to control the DC motor in both directions. This will pose no risk of a short circuit to the device.
The wiring is done by connecting the power supply and the minus on the same side of the two relays. This is easy and can be done very fast.
The third one is to use a relay module. Here you provide 5v to give power and then pull to GND voltage the pin inputs.
The fourth one is called electro-mechanic example. In this case, we should have a three-way switch and two end-stop switches. This will guarantee all the control needed.
The fifth stage is known as an upgrade. This is the addition of another module wired in series to the motor’s power supply. Only a big transistor is required to do this and a couple of relatively big size PWM modulator.
The sixth step is called downgrade. Here you need less than 3A of current to run the motor. You can hack the current using end-stops that don’t cut the power.
How does Driver Circuit Work for an IGBT?
It works by turning on and off the IGBT faster. This happens when there is charging and discharging of small capacitance located between the gates. This takes place when it is run at a rated high frequency.
IGBT has three terminals which are gate, drain, and source. The gate is in charge of controlling the current flow from the drain to the source.
The IGBT driver discharges the capacitors quickly so that this can prompt it to turn on again quickly. If it is not used, the IGBT will not be able to operate at high frequencies.
What is a Motor Driver Shield?
It is a special type of module you can use in electrical motors. This module allows you to use Arduino to regulate or control both the direction and speed of rotation.
You can use it to operate step motors or two DC electrical motors.
In such setups, it is possible to use either an eternal power input (6V-15V) or Arduino.
It has the following features:
- Arduino library
- Heat sink for better temperature control
- Standard Arduino UNO shield pinout
- Uses L298 full bridge IC
- I stepper or 2 DC motor drive system
- External power input
- LED indicators for the motor drive
What is the Function of Buffer in Motor ICs?
Brushless motor drive IC
A buffer has one input that is connected to a source output. The single output is, in turn, connected to the drive. The functions of a buffer in a motor IC include:
- It can help in translating the voltage of the source to the one required by a load.
- It allows a low or modest sub-circuit current source to drive loads that need more current to run.
- When the load has some faults like short circuits, it protects the source.
- The buffer manages and controls the timing between the source signal and the voltage.But still, if you have any queries or concerns not captured in this guide, Rantle Engineers are here to help you.
- With the information on this guide, you can easily choose a motor drive that suits your unique applications.